To Thine Own Self Be True

The masks we wear are determined by why we think we wear them. We may have different masks at home, school, work, only when we see certain people, or under certain circumstances. Masks, as collections of agreements that condition and limit self-expression, seem to be a pretty handy tool for getting around in the world and some would say masks are an unavoidable necessity. Then again, if we search through this process we will see that masks are based on what, how, why and when we think. The "self" that is conditioned and limited is not the personal "I", but that from which the personal "I" is shaped. My "I" is an artist, a daughter, sister, friend, co-worker, ex, in a relationship, a teacher, and more. "I" is lost, won, accomplished, failed, inventive, worried, forgetful and remembering. "I" is not and "I" is, but if any of these were true, they would not change and they always do. "To thine own self be true", is to detach from the limits and conditions we have enabled. Rather than seek to replace old masks with something we think is better, we can just be and see through the eyes of the limitlessly, unconditional, omnipotent, omnipresent self. That, we truly are.

Photo courtesy of exfordy at flickr.com

No comments: